What options are there for a child who was brought to the U.S. illegally in obtaining legal status?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What options are there for a child who was brought to the U.S. illegally in obtaining legal status?

I have a student who was brought here illegally by his parents. He has lived the majority of his life in the U.S. and is anxious that now that he is approaching his 18th birthday and he may not have any options for obtaining legal status, or gaining citizenship, which are things he wants to get.

Asked on June 8, 2017 under Immigration Law, Wyoming


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If he is not yet 18, then he needs to consult with an immigration attorney asap and leave the US before he turns 18 so that there are no doors closed to him for future immigration issues.  Once he turns 18, many doors will be closed to legalizing his status within the US if he entered the US unlawfully.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption