What notice does the landlord need to give to enter my rental houseif Ipay for a room with common areas?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What notice does the landlord need to give to enter my rental houseif Ipay for a room with common areas?

I live in a employee house where I rent a bedroom with a bathroom and a shared common living room and kitchen. I pay $135 a week but never signed a lease. On several occasions the general manager of the club has entered the home without any prior knowledge to myself or the other tenant. I am a women and am scared now to be in this house. I need to know what my rights are. I live and work for this club and now they are using audio surveillance where I work. I feel like this is borderline invasive and against my personal safety and civil rights.

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Audio surveillance outside of your home is allowable. Audio surveillance in your home (where you are a tenant and expect privacy) is not allowed. Your landlord must give you notice (usually 24 to 48 hours) prior to entry. Check your lease agreement and then if there is nothing mentioned in there, you may wish to review the state law regarding such entry. In Florida, I believe tenants are required to be given notice in writing and the notice must be in a reasonable time to enter for repairs, to show the premises for other prospective tenants and for improvements and inspections. As to entering at any time without notice, in Florida it is only limited to emergencies, if you the tenant has given consent for him to enter at any time or if you unreasonably withhold consent. If he is violating the state law, talk to your attorney general in Florida or the Division of Consumer Services, who I believe handles the landlord tenant complaint issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption