What next step do I take against my ex if he refuses mediation and owes me a huge settlement

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What next step do I take against my ex if he refuses mediation and owes me a huge settlement

look, I have tried for 4 yrs now to modify a divorce decree so that my ex will
pay me what is rightfully mine for the 23 yrs of marriage that He owes me
169,000. that is half of the equity that is on the house that my mother
purchased for me taking care of her. I just want my half and no more bullshit
from him. I am not getting any alimony or nothing.

Asked on July 23, 2018 under Family Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Court orders, including divorce decrees, can be enforced by the court, which can hold someone in "contempt of court" and punish them with fines and possibly even jail time, until the offender begins complying with his obligations. With $169,000 at stake, don't try to figure out court rules and legal procedure yourself; hire a family law attorney to bring a legal action (e.g. a motion) to hold your ex in contempt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption