What needs to be done to qualify a surviving spouse to have authority to act on behalf of her deceased husband’s corporation?

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What needs to be done to qualify a surviving spouse to have authority to act on behalf of her deceased husband’s corporation?

The corporation has now been administratively dissolved. He held all offices of the corporation and she was never involved in the business. The corporation is still owner of record of some real estate. He died in 2010. I would like to buy this property from It/her.

Asked on February 2, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The qualifying spouse needs to consult with a Wills and trust attorney to see if she as the surviving spouse per a Will or trust can place the land in contract through the corporation's ownership. In essence, doe sthe spouse have authority as to the corporation and if so, can she sell the corporation's land. Other directors and shareholders will need to be consulted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption