What is an appropriate settlement when a pedestrian is struck by an automobile?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is an appropriate settlement when a pedestrian is struck by an automobile?

I was recently struck by an automobile after exiting a shuttle bus atLAX (Los Angeles Airport). The driver refused to exit the vehicle, but a witness came forward (inside the terminal) and pointed him out. I then reported the accident to airport security and the police came and took down all of the information (driver, witness, and myself). Now, my back is still giving me problems (I’m 55 years old). I’ve been off work for about 2 weeksand yesterday the driver’s insurance company asked if I was ready to “settle”. What should I do? Should I speak with a personal injury attorney? In Tarzana, CA.

Asked on October 27, 2010 under Personal Injury, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should absolutely seek help from an attorney in your area.  Never settle with an insurance company yourself until you have at least consulted with an attorney as to what the value of your case may be.  The consultation should be free.  Plus, you have no idea yourself as to your injuries, do you? Have you been seen by a doctor and evaluated? Have you had any diagnostic tests? Are you being treated at the present time?  All this information is important to evaluate the claim.  You have liability on your side so there is no need to worry about that issue here.  So go and see what the real deal is.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption