What measures can I take to ensure that I am not arrested due to false accusations of identity theft?

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What measures can I take to ensure that I am not arrested due to false accusations of identity theft?

In 2007, my grandmother co-signed with me for a $16,000 on-line student loan. I have the paperwork where she and I both signed. The loan is now in default because I can’t make payments. She is sending word through other people that I forged her name and that she never signed any papers. She said I was going to go to jail. This loan company has talked with her many times on the phone before and she gets statements at her home. I think that she is trying to get out of the loan by lying that I forged her name. What measures can I take to ensure that I do not get falsely arrested for this?

Asked on January 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you need to do is to gather all relevant papers and go speak to a criminal law attorney directly.  Don't wait. Identity theft is a crime that is taken quite seriously.  Experienced legal counsel can best advise you as to your rights in this situation.  Even though this was an on-line loan, hopefully you have something (ie. loan application) that has her original signature on it, or at least a witness to her co-signing the loan on your behalf, etc.

Note:  Until you speak with a lawyer, don't say anything to anyone else at this point.  You could unknowingly incriminate yourself.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption