What makes a sublease null and void?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What makes a sublease null and void?

I sublet without my landlord’s permission. My subtenant voluntarily moved out after complaining about bugs but we signed a sublease agreement and she didn’t pay after she moved out. Can I sue her for the money for the term we agreed on in the sublease agreement?

Asked on August 22, 2011 Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your lease prevents subleasing entirely, or requires a landlord's permission for a sublease, it may be that you cannot enforce the sublease against the subtenant, since you did not have the right to sublease to her in the first place.

Even if the sublease is enforceable, if there was an insect or other pest problem, if it was severe enough, that may give the subtenant  the right to terminate the lease without penalty or obligation to pay rent; this would be for a violation of the implied warranty of habitability.

Other than as the above, a sublease should be enforceable as per its terms, including as to the obligation to pay rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption