What legal recourse do I have against a travel agency which received my payment of $22,500 for plane tickets but did not deliver?

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal recourse do I have against a travel agency which received my payment of $22,500 for plane tickets but did not deliver?

It instead refunded my money with checks that were eventually returned by the bank. How can I legally recover my money?

Asked on October 31, 2012 under Business Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have a civil and criminal remedy.  You can sue them for any number of civil remedies-- including breach of contract, conversion, or deceptive practices.  Since they essentially tried to repay you with a hot check, you should also be able to press charges for some version of theft, namely the theft of your original funds.  Some law enforcement agencies are reluctant to accept cases with civil overtones, but considering the amount of funds you were out, it would be worth asking the question. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption