What legal actions canI take to collect the remaining balance of an account?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal actions canI take to collect the remaining balance of an account?

I have a customer that bought $3000worth of window treatments from me and paid the mandatory 75% down and agreed to pay the other 25% at install. With a couple of minor delays and manufacturer mistakes, I finally installed all of the order. Now they refuse to pay the 25% even after I’ve given them a $500discount due to inconvenience. I’ve sent many letters and tried calling many times but the customer is purposely avoiding the situation. What should I do?

Asked on February 16, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas

Answers:

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Sue them for the remainder of the contract.  I am sure that you have a purchase order for the window treatments, correct?  And did you get any additional documents that constitute a contract here?  There was definitely "offer and acceptance" by your estimate and their payment of the 75%.  Do not take off the $500 when you sue them.  You can explain tot he judge that you made them an offer to discount the remaining monies owed in order to compensate them for their inconvenience but that they refused.  You can still do so  - and you should say that in front of the Judge to show that you are still being reasonable in this - it will make you look like you have tried to take the high road and they have refused.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption