What legal actions can an association take against an owner way behind on their dues?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal actions can an association take against an owner way behind on their dues?

Asked on August 19, 2011 Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The recorded "covenants, conditions and restrictions" recorded on your property set forth the rules and regulations governing your property and what powers the homeowner's association has as well.

Read these recorded documents in that they will set forth that legal actions the homeowner's association can take as to a property owner behind on his or her monthly dues.

In all likelihood the association can place a lien on a property owner's unit for unpaid due as well as to file a legal action for payment from recorded "covenants, conditions and restrictions" that I have seen in the past. Most likely a late fee for each monthly payment that is late is imposed as well as a finance charge.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption