What kind of legal problem am I facing married to two woman

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What kind of legal problem am I facing married to two woman

Hi, I will try to make this short. My ex wife, I will caller Ms C filed for divorce

back in or around 2000. I know this because not knowing her where about, I

called AR country clerk office and I was told that Ms C had filed for divorce.

Based on the information, I proposed to my present wife, we will call her Mrs. B.

Throughout the years information had been coming to my address that made me

wonder if I was still married to Ms C. 20 years has passed and I called back to

that same AR country clerk office and was told that Ms.C revoked the divorce

order. I took to the Internet and invested in one of the truth finder sites. I didn’t

find her but found her dad who give me her number. I call her but she would not

answer the question, ‘are we still married’. During our brief conversation she

did state that she had been married for four years but is now divorced. Thanks


Asked on July 1, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Bigamy is still a law on the books in Texas...but quit frankly... it's rarely prosecuted or enforced in Texas. 
Don't call your ex- to figure out if you married.  What she tells you or doesn't tell you controls.  What does control is what a court did or did not do.  Contact the Texas Department of State Health Services, Bureau of Vital Statistics division.... and ask for copies of any divorce records pertaining to you or your ex.  If they think you are divorced, then you most likely are and they can direct you to the county where the divorce was finalized.
More and more counties in Texas are offering basic online record searches.  You can search any county where you or your ex-wife have resided. That will also give you clues and potential confirmation that you are married or not married to her. 
Calling district clerk's offices is good, but actually looking at the file is better.  I have received incorrect information over the phone on more than one instance.  If you have the time, either go or have some go and physically look at the file where you believed she last filed for divorce.  Even though she "revoked" the divorce order, the divorce may still have been granted. 
If you look in all of these areas and cannot find that you have actually been divorced, then you may need to file for a divorce.  Considering that you and her have been separated this long, this should be a quick and easy divorce.  The exception would be if you and your ex- were common law married.  Considering the length of time you have been separated, it would be presumed that you and her never intended to be married and were thus never common law married. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption