What kind of criminal charges can be brought on someone for bleaching $400 worth of clothing?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What kind of criminal charges can be brought on someone for bleaching $400 worth of clothing?

A spouse cheated and their spouse sprayed about $200-$400 worth of clothes with bleach. Both parties mutually agreed that the guilty party would pay for the damaged property once tax return money was received. The victimized party has w decided that they no longer want to wait and has threatened to file criminal charges and sue.

Asked on January 2, 2019 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

While the name(s) of the charge(s) will vary state by state, this would be a form of vandalism, the same as keying a car, spraypainting a house's wall, or breaking someone's window. It is typically a disorderly person's offense (the lowest or least serious form of criminal activity).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption