What kind of attorney would I need to sue my father for the pain and suffering that he has caused me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What kind of attorney would I need to sue my father for the pain and suffering that he has caused me?

My parents separated due my father’s infidelity, gay relations and also abuse

of my brother (both sexually and physically). When I was 8 they were divorced. Due to what my father did, both my brother I suffer from diagnosed PTSD. My

grandparents, his parents, purchased a home for him where I lived with him for a while until he attempted suicide, contracted AIDS and then had to go live with them in MO. From my understanding, my family owns much of their town. My grandfather passed and a few years ago and a little later so did my grandmother. I believe that all was left to my father as he is the oldest child (I am the oldest grandchild). I am able to see that his net worth is nearly 500k from my research. In conversation after my grandmother’s passing, I was told that

Asked on September 23, 2018 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There are lawyers who specialize in sexual and child abuse: that is the kind of attorney you need. They may be a family law attorney or a personal injury lawyer, but you want one who has worked on sexual, etc. abuse previously--this is not something where you want your lawyer to be learning on the job. Contact your state and/or city bar associations and ask for a referral list to potential attorneys; also "Google" "sexual abuse lawyer Florida" and don't look for the attorney ads that come up first; look for news stories about successful lawsuits/cases; the lawyers who handled them will ones to consider.
Bear in mind that you cannot sue in regards to your father's infidelity, gay relations, etc. or any lifestyle matters or things he did to others (e.g. if he betrayed your mother)--you can only sue over what he did to you. Also, he has a right to keep the family money--there is no inherent right to get a share from family (he can spend it, give it to others, will it to others, etc.). Again, what you can take action for is what he did to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption