What is the worse that can happen if you have a misdemeanor warrant for traffic tickets?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the worse that can happen if you have a misdemeanor warrant for traffic tickets?

I have traffic tickets that I didnt pay and now I have a misdemeanor warrant for my arrest. I want to turn myself in but I don’t want to do jail time. What’s the worse that can happen?

Asked on May 20, 2018 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Jail time is a possibility, especially since there are at least several that you did not pay. The fact is the sooner you go to court the better. The fact is that warrants do not expire so you risk being taken into custody if you should ever be stopped, even for just a speeding ticket. The best thing for you to do is to appear before a judge and get this all sorted out. At this point, you may want to consult with a criminal law attorney. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption