What is the statute of limitations for a union employee to file a grievance

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the statute of limitations for a union employee to file a grievance

A union employee is saying hes scared
of me. He said its from a conversation
a year and a half ago

Asked on July 2, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your rights as a union employee come from the contract. Generally, in your state, the time limit to file a grievance would be the time limit for filing a legal action based on a contract; that time (called the "statute of limitations") is four years for a written contract (like a union agreeement) in your state. So as a general matter, you'd have up to four years.
It is legal for the contract itself to define a shorter period of time for a grievance, however; you need to check the terms of *your* contract to see if a shorter time frame is specified.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption