What is the statute of limitations for filing a criminal charge?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the statute of limitations for filing a criminal charge?

I was pulled over more than 10 years ago with a friend. He was arrested on felony drug charges and released on his own recognizance. Recently I was questioned about this incident. I am worried about the district attorney drumming up charges. I was never charged initially.

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Vermont


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Different states have different statute of limitations for the district attorney's office to file a criminal complaint as to various felony charges. Potentially the questioning as to you pertains to the arrest of your friend where he might have gotten himself into subsequent trouble.

Most likely any claims of a crime against you would be time barred due to the passage of the ten (10) years that you have written about. To confirm and protect your interests, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the recent contact you have received about this long ago event.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption