What is the statute of limitations in which to collect past due invoices?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the statute of limitations in which to collect past due invoices?

That is what is the time limit for which I can sue for this?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It depends exactly on what the invoices derived from. Assuming that they were for the provision of services or the sale of goods, it most likely that the applicable statute of limitations would be the one for contracts, which is s 6 year statute of limitations. That is, you would have 6 years from when the invoice was first defaulted on, or not paid on time or according to its terms, to take legal action. However, as noted, the nature of the invoices--the transaction giving rise to them--is critical, since every cause of action has its own statute. In any event, there is no reason to delay if you think you have a caue of action--you should contact an attorney and file suit, to make sure that you don't accidentally wait too long and lose your right to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption