What is the process to appeal ruling in small claim court?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the process to appeal ruling in small claim court?

Also, is there any cost involved?

Asked on December 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The process is, you file a Notice of Appeal; if you contact your appellate courts, either online, over the phone (call the clerk's office) or in person, they can direct you to  and/or provide the forms and instructions. You will also have to provide transcripts--the verbatim record(s) of the court proceeding you are appealing--as part of the appeal.

You most likely should not appeal:

1) It does cost money--filing fees are typically $100 - $200, and the transcripts can cost another $100 - $300  easily.

2) Most appeals lose--the odds are against you winning.

3) Remember, you can't introduce new evidence in an appeal--you can only try to show that the court below did something wrong based on the facts before it, which means you are making a legal argument. You may need to hire an attorney.

4) Even if you win the appeal, often, all that happens is that the case is sent back (remanded) to the trial court for a new trial, in line with certain guidelines from the appellate court--so you still may not ultimately win.

It is difficult to imagine an appeal from a small claims judgment being worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption