What is the policy for paid vacation time when you leave an employer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the policy for paid vacation time when you leave an employer?

I have an email stating the company I just left gives 2 weeks vacation no time limits put on it,

like a year or 1 fall, 1 summer, no allocation time periods. I left in April. They are telling me they do not pay unused vacation time and I’m not entitled to any unearned vacation wages. I’m just wondering if I am entitled to anything.

Asked on April 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Actualy, your state is one of the relative few that do require the payment of accrued but unused vacation time on termination of employment (the employer can put limits on accrual, or on how much you can carry over, but whatever you have at termination, should be paid). Here is a link to an advisory from your state's Attorney General which you may find helpful: http://www.mass.gov/ago/docs/workplace/vacation-advisory.pdf

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption