What is the penalty for selling a vehicle that’s not legally mine?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the penalty for selling a vehicle that’s not legally mine?

I sold my deceased husband’s truck without his children signing off on it. There was no Will, so

all his belongings were intestate and therefore seeking the truck was illegal. What crime could I be facing?

Asked on December 29, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You committed theft: you stole something that belonged (at least in part) to others. There is a reasonable chance the authorities will not choose to charge you but will feel instead this is best handled by the civil courts (i.e. by his children suing you for the value of the truck), since it is intrafamily and a claim could be made that you lacked criminal intent (but rather misunderstood your rights in this situation), but be aware that you did technically commit auto theft, something punishable by jail time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption