What is the next step when a insurance check is made out to the estate of the deceased?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the next step when a insurance check is made out to the estate of the deceased?

There is only 1 surviving sibling and no parents, no children or spouse.

Asked on December 26, 2018 under Estate Planning, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The executor (if there is a will) or personal representative appointed by the court (if there is no will) can open an estate account and deposit the check into it. From there, it can be distributed to whomever would inherit the money (e.g. the surviving sibling) under a will or pursuant to "intestate succession" (the rules for who gets what when there is no will) when the estate is probated. So the first step is likely being appointed executor or administrator, if that has not been done yet, so you will have authority over estate assets, then opening the estate account.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption