What is the legality of having consensual sex with someone under the age of 21 after having provided them with alcohol?

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the legality of having consensual sex with someone under the age of 21 after having provided them with alcohol?

Does the fact that they are not legally allowed to have been consuming alcohol automatically place them into a category of unable to provide consent even when they did in fact provide consent?

Asked on March 19, 2015 under Criminal Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, the fact that they could not legally drink does not automatically negate consent (though, of course, you could face charges or liability related to underage drinking), but IF they consummed enough to impair judgment, and hence consent, if you gave the alcohal, you having done so may be seen as an intentional act to take advantage of them--i.e., basically, that you drugged them. You could face stiffer charges or a more serious penalty.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption