What is the land of the law mean inNY state to me ifI was not at fault in an accident as stated in a police report, and other driver is unlicensed?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the land of the law mean inNY state to me ifI was not at fault in an accident as stated in a police report, and other driver is unlicensed?

Asked on June 24, 2009 under Accident Law, New York


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It is irrelevant that the at-fault driver had no drivers' license.  The police will likely give him a citation for that and he'll have to deal with the court.  If the accident was his fault, he is responsible, but under the laws of ny, if you have your own insurance, your insurance should cover your property damage.  If you do not, you can go after the other driver's insurance if he has any, but you are not likely to get anything since he a)is unlikely to have any and b)ny is a no-fault state, so your insurance should be paying.  If you were injured, you can present a claim to your own insurance.  You can only make a claim on the at-fault driver's insurance for your injury if you have suffered:

  • A permanent loss of use of a body organ, member, function and symptom.
  • A permanent consequential limitation of a use of a body organ or member.
  • Significant limitation of a use of a body function or system.
  • A medically determined injury or impairment of a non-permanent nature which has prevented you from performing substantially all the material acts which constitute your usual and customary daily activities for not less than 90 days during the 180 days immediately following the accident

So, a bump on the arm wouldn't qualify, but a broken arm would.  Hope that helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption