What is the divorce procedure in the U.S. Virgin Islands?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the divorce procedure in the U.S. Virgin Islands?

My husband is a U.S. citizen and am a permanent resident of the U.S. We got married in the U.S Virgin Islands. He filing for a divorce. If I don’t agree to sign the divorce papers, what would happen? Is he obligated ed to pay me alimony?

Asked on February 26, 2017 under Family Law


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First of all, alimony depends on several factors but you give no details here regarding your living situation, finances, length of marriage, etc.. Therefore, whether or not you will be granted alimony is not clear. Secondly, even if you refuse to sign the divorce papers your husband can still get something known as a "divorce by default". Finally, you file for divorce in the state (or territory) in which either you or your spouse legally reside. Unless that's in the Virgin Islands, you wouldn't file there just because that's where you got married. If you do reside there, then here is a link to a site that I think you will find to be of help: http://www.womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?id=11854&state_code=VI

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption