What is the details of the on third payment of balance to avoid finance charges in some states including NJ

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the details of the on third payment of balance to avoid finance charges in some states including NJ

On the back of some credit card statements I have noticed the statement that in some states (NJ is one) that I can avoid finance charges if the larger of one third of the balance due or $50 is paid. Exactly what are the provisions of this rule?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Business Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need to inquire with the agency who handles the credit card company. Meaning most credit card companies are banks so usually the agency who handles that bank will be able to help you. Remember, the credit cards are usually by rule of the state wherein the credit card office is --- usually places like Delaware or Nevada where there are no limits on finance charge limits.

Try www.occ.gov (Office of the Comptroller of the Currency) or www.ots.gov (Office of Thrift Supervision).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption