What is the consequence for a first time disorderly conduct?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the consequence for a first time disorderly conduct?

I received a summons to appear in court in November for an altercation where I was assaulted on a college campus. The female and I had a dispute, then she assaulted me. On the summons, it said that the offense is disorderly conduct. This is my first time getting a summons, having an offense, appearing in court, etc. I am a good student. How will the judge handle this case?

Asked on October 21, 2018 under Criminal Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The penalty in NY for disorderly conduct is up to fifteen days in jail and a fine.
Disorderly conduct in NY is a violation.  Violations do not result in criminal records.
Don't worry about it because the fifteen day sentence is the maximum.  Most likely, since this is your first offense, you will receive considerably less and depending  on the judge's discretion, perhaps just a fine without any jail sentence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption