What is the best way to see my son if there is no order of visitation?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best way to see my son if there is no order of visitation?

His mother moved from OR to CO before he was born. There is no order for visitation but paternity has been confirmed and I pay support. I have to pay all traveling to see him and she won’t let me bring him back with me. What do I do?

Asked on August 21, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a child support order in effect where you are obligated to be paying the support for your on on a monthly basis, but no custody or visitation order for you, I suggest the following:

1. work out an agreement with your son's mother for custody and visitation rights for you if possible. If you two reach an agreement have the agreement signed by both of you and have it filed in the court action where you are ordered to be paying child support with a court order approving the agreement. If you cannot reach an agreement, you need to do the following;

2. file a petition in the superior court where you are under a court order to pay child support for your son requesting a custody order as well as visitation rights.

The court will hear this petition and make a ruling upon it.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption