What is the best way to get my fianc to US while being abroad with him?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best way to get my fianc to US while being abroad with him?

My fianc is an Australian citizen. I am a US

citizen. I will be going to Australia in December

to work and explore the country. What would

be the best way for us to come back to US to

settle together after that year in Australia is up.

Should we get married in Australia? Can I file for the fiancé visa while abroad? Should he come to the U.S. here and we get married before we both leave in December? Then file for permanent residency and wait for it to go through while in Australia?

Asked on July 25, 2018 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

HE will most likely not be able to come with you in 6 months if he wants to already come in as a spouse or as a fiance but he might be able to come in as a tourist.  This is not the best option especially if you are planning to get married once he is in the US.  the best route would probably be to get married and then file for him as a spouse and then hope the process is not too lengthy and he might be able to join you about 4-6 months after you plan to return to the US.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption