What is the best course of action to collect on2 outstanding invoices for consulting and design work on a private residence remodel?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best course of action to collect on2 outstanding invoices for consulting and design work on a private residence remodel?

I had been hired as a consultant/designer to on a private residence. Within the last few weeks of completion, owners actually chose to move in. My client became lax in paying the sub-contractors in a timely manner and they were not going to continue until the balances were made current. I followed up with the client, in writing, attempting to resolve a number of issues that were delaying completion of the project. He refused to respond. Now he is refusing to pay over a cabinet issue that he signed off on.

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your course of action is to sue: the client or customer must pay you for all work which you (or which your subcontracttors performed), if it was the work requested and done to acceptable standards (and sign off would be powerful evidence of that). You may also sue for any additional costs or losses you have incurred  as a result of the client's wrongful refusal to pay, such as if you have had to borrow money to meet expenses and therefore have incurred interest or loan application fee charges. That's the good news--you have legal recourse, and can sue. The "bad" news is that if you want to get paid, you'll have to sue--there is no one who will take care of this matter or see to your payment for you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption