What is the best application we can make to allow a British husband to live/work with American wife in the USA?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best application we can make to allow a British husband to live/work with American wife in the USA?

Im a British Citizen/UK passport holder and have been married to my American
Citizen/USA passport holder wife since October 2012. She is now back in the USA
as we’ve been living in the Caribbean our entire marriage and we are wanting to
see what the most solid method of application is that we can apply for for me so
that we can live in the USA? Is a Green Card the best available application or is
there anything more solid, PR, naturalisation, citizenship….and what should we do
to make this as fast as possible as we’ve already spent far too long apart as a
result of poor guidance. we really appreciate any assistance and look for help with

Asked on March 3, 2017 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

So green card = permanent residence and that is really the only way for you to be eligible to get employment authorization and right to reside in the US with your wife in a quick and efficient way.  Depending on whether you are already in the US on the visa waiver or still abroad, you can have a couple of different paths as to how you pursue permanent residence.  Please feel free to email me if you want to discuss your specifics in more detail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption