what is the alabama law

UPDATED: May 29, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what is the alabama law

my husband is working for a hotel owner and he only gets paid less then minimum wage but we do have a free room and the owner has put my husband in the hospital he had a saver ashma attack and he is being worked like a dog

Asked on May 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, it's not legal: the only employees who may be paid less than minimum wage are tipped employees (e.g. servers), who make up the difference (and hopefully then some) from tips. Everyone else, even those who receive a free room, must receive minimum wage. If you are not paid minimum, you could contact your state department of labor to see about filng a wage complaint. Obviously, providing a free room can let the hotel pay less than they would if the employee did not receive a free room, but they still must pay minimum.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption