What is some advice on how to lower the charges for a speeding ticket?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is some advice on how to lower the charges for a speeding ticket?

I am a 22 year old male who was pulled over for speeding, going 79 mph in a 60 mph zone. This was on a highway clear day, and I was going a bit faster than the flow of traffic. I had cruise control on as well as my GPS.I’ve got a court date coming up soon and was hopeful that you may be able to provide me some legal advice before I go in there so that I may lower the ticket price or at the very least avoid points on my driver’s license. I’ve thought about offering to take a class but I am unsure what to do.

Asked on May 9, 2017 under General Practice, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) If you have an otherwise clean record, there is a good chance the prosecutor will offer to let you plead to a lesser offense or lower speed. When you speak to the prosecutor before court (show up early, so you can do this), stress your clean record.
2) Offering to take a class may help and cannot hurt: this is a good idea.
3) I've seen alot of people dress and act inappropriately in court--don't do this. Wear a suit or blazer if you have one, a neat oxford shirt and nice slacks if not (or the female equivalent, as appropriate). Do not argue, do not try to prove you were in the right, don't be defensive: be calm, reasonable and respectful. People who look and act like they should be given a second chance are more likely to get one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption