What are the requirements for a sole proprietorship to sponsor a green card?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the requirements for a sole proprietorship to sponsor a green card?

Can I do that if I have assets to cover the person’s salary? I have owned my business as sole proprietor for the last 2 years and would like to sponsor green card based on employment. My business has not been profitable yet but am expecting the sales to make a big increase by the end of this year. What the requirements are to sponsor green card. I heard assets could be proof to show my ability to sponsor it if my company does not have the big sales yet.

Asked on July 5, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your company can be a sponsor of someone's employment-based permanent residence petition if your business will be able to demonstrate financial ability to pay the prevailing wage for the position from the time you start the process to the time the green card is issued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption