What is required to change n executor?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is required to change n executor?

I have a Will but need to change the executor.

Asked on October 11, 2016 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you need to change your executor, you may do so by writing a "codicil" to your Will. Basically, this is an amendment in which you name your new executor (and back up if you have one). You may handwrite it or type it. Use a separate sheet of paper and write the change using the same wording used to name your original executor in your Will. You must sign your codicil in the presence of at least 2 witnesses, although you do not have to use the same witnesses as used for your Will. Attach the signed and witnessed codicil to your Will and keep it in a safe place; you may wish to tell your new execuator where to find it. Or you can have an attorney do this for a nominal cost. Finally, if you have other changes that need to be made (and the older the Will, the more likley it is that changes are needed), you can draft and execute an entirely new Will. You can also have an attorney do this or get an on-line form and do it yourself. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption