what is parent exposure if 18 year old gets in the car accident

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what is parent exposure if 18 year old gets in the car accident

we did not add our 18 year old to our car insurance policy. he has license less then 2 weeks and rear ended another vehicle

Asked on August 9, 2018 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Whose car was it? If he bought it and it was titled only to him, you are not liable: he is an adult, and one adult, even a parent or someone the driver is living with, is not liable for the accidents of another adult in his own vehicle.
But if it was your car, or a car you co-own with him, you are liable. All of a car's owners are liable when somene who was legally driving their car (i.e. had not stolen it from them) is at fault in an accident, and if he rear-ended someone, it is virtually certain he will be found at  fault. And since you failed to put someone you were allowing to drive your car on your policy, your insurer will be able to deny coverage, leaving you personally responsible for any and all damage, costs, injuries, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption