What is needed for my son to get his citizenship

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is needed for my son to get his citizenship

I am a us citizen by birth georgia my
son was born in costa rica with a costa
Rican woman who I married before he was
conceived. We live in usa now. Her
permanent paperwork is filed and waiting
responses. I need to know what to do to
get him his us ssn and passport

Asked on January 16, 2019 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Did you ever register his birth with the US Embassy in Costa Rica when he was born?  HOw old is he?  YOu might be able to simply apply for his passport by showing that he is in fact a US citizen by virtue of you, his father, being a US citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption