what is my right if I was in a car wreck and got false insurance information?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what is my right if I was in a car wreck and got false insurance information?

I live in Texas, and the guy gave me a
false insurance agent’s contact
information from a different state.
However, when I went to the police
station the next day, the officer gave
me the guy’s VIN, address, etc., from
his drivers license number. I have
damage to my car and have a witness.

Asked on March 26, 2016 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the other driver, if he was at fault in causing the accident (that  is, if he was driving carelessly, and that's what caused the accident), for any out-of-pocket costs or losses you suffered--including your deductible, if the rest is paid by your insurance. If the amount at stake is less than the maximum for your small claims court, suing in small claims, as your own attorne ("pro se") is a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption