What is my optionsagainst a creditor that has filed suit against me?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my optionsagainst a creditor that has filed suit against me?

Just received a solicitation mailing by an attorney for my business in a lawsuit versus a creditor that he said was listed in public records in my county. I checked the records on-line and he was right but the case is listed as filed as of 5 months ago and as open. Am I supposed to receive something in writing, possibly even requiring my signature, beforehand? What are my options if I’m in a poverty situation?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should have been served with a summons and complaint by a process server since the case was filed five months ago.  The complaint is the lawsuit attached to the summons.  After being served, you would have to file an answer to the complaint with the court within the time period specified in the summons (usually thirty days in CA). You would also have had to serve by mail the answer to the complaint on the opposing party or the opposing party's attorney. The answer denies the allegations in the complaint.  If an answer to the complaint is not timely filed with the court, a default judgment would be entered by the court upon the request of the plaintiff.  This means that you would lose by default.  If that happens or happened, you will need to file a motion to set aside the default.  Your argument in support of your motion to set aside the default is that you were never served with the summons and compalint.  If the court grants your motion to set aside the default, the case is then back on track and litigation will continue. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption