What is my next step if I’m paying for repairs that were not properly made?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my next step if I’m paying for repairs that were not properly made?

I bought a used vehicle last year and now it is cutting off when I break. It has done this numerous times, but the mechanics say they can’t find anything wrong with it. Finally they fixed over $1000 worth of stuff. It drove fine for 3 weeks and is now cutting off on me again when I break. I am making payments on the bill from where they fixed it. I asked them, that since it wasn’t fixed and is doing the same thing that they have charged me for, why am I responsible for paying this money? What is my next step? Do I have any such of a legal case?

Asked on August 27, 2011 Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to go back to the mechanic's shop that has been working on your vehicle without successful resolution of your braking problem and inquire about the excessive charges that you are being billed without any success in resolving the problem of the vehicle where it "cuts off" when you apply the brakes to work out some resolution of the continuing charges and no foreseeable final completion of the problem.

It makes no economic sense to keep paying to have the problem attempted to be fixed without any resolution. Most mechanic shops have a guarantee for the repairs for a certain period of time without further charges. 

You  might consider contacting your state's "Bureau of Automotive Repairs" which is in charge of overseeing the automotive mechanic's industry for further insight as to how to deal with your car situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption