What is my legal recourse if my brothers sell our beer distributorship with property/building as part of deal but without my consent?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my legal recourse if my brothers sell our beer distributorship with property/building as part of deal but without my consent?

My 3 siblings and I have a family Trust partnership where each of us own

25% of the land and building and 2 of my siblings own a beverage distributorship company that is located on the property we all share. We all receive rental income distributions monthly and 2 of us, who do not own the other business, have come to depend on. Now 2 of the brothers are going to sell the beverage business but the deal is contingent on buying the property/building as part of the deal. The other 2 of us were not consulted and it will greatly affect our livelihoods for the next 10 or so years; there will be 900K in lost rental income plus future increase in property value. The

brother who runs the business is only 57 and we thought that he would work until full retirement age before selling. He plans to continue running the business but will have a minority interest after the sale. What legal recourse do I and my other brother who is not part of the beer business have? This transaction was sprung this on us without any consideration for our needs and it is planning to close in late next month.

Asked on August 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can stop the sale with a court order, which you can get by filing a legal action (lawsuit): it takes a majority of the ownership or control to sell assets, but if there are four of you, each with 25% and two of you (owning between you 50%) do want and did not consent to the sale, the other two cannot sell. Procedurally, getting a court order on short notice can be difficult; retain an attorney to help. The important thing is, with four equal owners, it takes three of them to make a sale of assets happen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption