What is my defense for the charge of DUI on my private property with gates closed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my defense for the charge of DUI on my private property with gates closed?

I was arrested for refusing to submit to a field sobriety test.

Asked on January 31, 2017 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Whether on private or public property makes no difference. A DUI can be lawfully charged in either case. Additionally, if you are legally intoxicated and have possession and control of a vehicle, even if you have not left the property, you can be cited for DUI since could drive onto public roads at any time. That having been said, an experienced DUI attorney may be help you fight this. Drunk driving offenses are fact specific. A local lawyer may be successful in getting the charges dismissed or at least reduced. Since a DUI triggers both a civil and criminal case, it's worth fighting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption