What is my best course of action, my car was hit by a bus

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my best course of action, my car was hit by a bus

I am a delivery driver from Michigan and was on a delivery. I was driving down
a one way road with no stop signs along my path. A bus that was stopped at an
intersections stop sign, pulled out in front of me, and T-boned my car. Police
came to the accident scene and the bus driver admitted fault. There is a police
report on the accident.

My car is not able to be driven as the accident bent some of the metal framing
of my car to my tire and the appearance of my car is a wreck. I am unable to
continue work due to this. There were no injuries.

I have not yet filled an insurance claim and I have PLPD insurance. I was
hoping to hear legal advice before making a claim as to make sure I am not
taken advantage of or under compensated during the process.

Asked on October 23, 2016 under Accident Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you have the relevant insurance (e.g. collission) as indicated, then the fastest, most straightforward thing to do is to file a claim with your own insurer--that's what you pay them for, after all: to pay for damage to your car. This will get you the money to fix your car the quickest and, if your coverage includes rental coverage, they'll pay for a rental car, while the repairs are being done, too.
You can then claim against the bus company for any amounts not paid by your insurance, such as your deductible; lost wages from not being able to work; any uncovered rental car costs; etc. If they (or their insurer) will not pay voluntarily, you can sue the bus company (and the driver--since you may also sue him, as the at-fault driver, personally, too, you should name him in the lawsuit) for those amounts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption