What is legal remedy foran incorrectlegal description on a mortgage?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is legal remedy foran incorrectlegal description on a mortgage?

Is there a legal remedy when the wrong legal description was used for a mortgage and the buyer never signed any page with a legal description at closing? The page in question was mistakenly left out of closing paper work and later added without borrower initials or signature. Bank is attempting to foreclose but borrower is objecting, saying mortgage was for different property. Does the buyer have a case? Is this something title insurance is designed to handle, removing liability from buyer?

Asked on December 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you should immediately consult with a real estate attorney about the situation you are writing about. In short, the escrow company who drafted the mortgage that recorded on the wrong property needs to assist in resolving the problem.

If the mortage is defective, it seems that the lender will have a hard time from a legal perspective foreclosing if the borrower retains a real estate attorney to file an action for an injunction against the lender from foreclosing. The mortgage seems to have to be corrected and then recorded where the one in existence is then released.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption