What is going to happen ifI was charged with public intoxication?

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is going to happen ifI was charged with public intoxication?

I was nit driving. I was charged and arrested for public intoxication just because I smelled of alcohol. There was no breathalyzer administered and my blood was not taken. While in custody I did not speak so there was nothing said that would incriminate myself. What is going to happen when I go to court, and what should I do?

Asked on March 3, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In Michigan, public intoxication or "disorderly persons" is a misdemeanor offense punishable by up to 90 days imprisonment. Often times, these cases are fact specific and have a high chance of being reduced or even dismissed if this is your first citation for public intoxication and your have no prior criminal record. At your first court appearance, you will be arraigned on the charges and more than likely given a pre-trial date where you will be given an opportunity to either plead guilty or request a trial. My advice is to speak with a criminal defense attorney in your area to discuss possible tactical options in having the charge reduced or dismissed prior to your first court date.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption