What is foreign judgement?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is foreign judgement?

When we applied for refinancing. It seems that we have a foreign judgement against us. from a college. We never took any course there. How do we find out more about it?

Asked on November 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A foreign judgment is the judgment of a court in another state.  If you know in which court the judgment against you was obtained, you can have someone go to that court and look in the court's computer for your name under defendants in the plaintiff/defendant index.  This will give you the case number.  Once you have or your representative has the case number, present the case number to the court clerk and ask for the file.  You or your representative can look at the case file at the court, but cannot remove it from the court.  You or your representative can ask the court clerk to photocopy the entire file or if you only want part of the file, the part or parts that you request for photocopying.  If you already know the case number, then it is not necessary for you or your representative to look in the court's computer.  Just give the case number to the court clerk and ask to see the file.  There is a brief form the court requires you or your representative to complete before the court clerk will provide the file.  The court clerk has that form or it may just be on the counter at the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption