What is the first step to take in order to remove my name from a title to a home that my ex-boyfriend still resides in?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the first step to take in order to remove my name from a title to a home that my ex-boyfriend still resides in?

I want to know how to approach a situation where I invested money in a home where I no longer live. My name is on the title but not on the loan. I no longer live in home. My ex-boyfriend is residing in the home. I would like some money back or the house to be sold so I dont have this attachment any more.

Asked on May 29, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can:
1) See if your ex will buy your interest out for a murtually agreed upon price; if he will enter into an agreement to buy you out, when he pays, you can quitclaim your interest to him.
2) If he won't agree to pay you and it's not worth a lawsuit (see below) you can simply quitclaim it to him without payment--i.e. just give him your interest in or share of the house.
3) If you want to get some money out of the home and he won't buy you out, you can bring a kind of legal action (lawsuit) in county court traditionally called an action "for partition" to get a court order requiring that the home be sold and the proceeds of the sale (after paying costs of sale and paying off any mortgages, liens, etc.) be divided between the owners--i.e. between the people on the title. If your ex paid much more than you did for the home, the court might in the process given an adjustment or credit (i.e. more money) to compensate for that. If you want to explore this option, consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption