What is an order of satisfaction?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is an order of satisfaction?

I sued my landlord for $2,200 in damages in small claims court. I was only awarded $575. I have received an order or satisfaction from the law firm that represented my landlord. The law firm states I have to sign the order of satisfaction or I they will ask the courts to intervene? Do I have to sign it? If I do sign it, what rights am I waiving?

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

An order of satisfaction is an acknowledgment that the judgment was paid. If you received the $575, the judgment has in fact been satisified and you would be required to acknowledge that fact.

It's not a matter of waiving any rights: if you had a trial in small claims court and the court awarded you $575 for your suit, that is all you are entitled to for  the claim--you can't sue for additional money on the same claim, after receiving a judgment. (You could theoretically appeal, but that is almost certainly not worth doing--the odds of overturning the judgment are very slight at best.) Therefore, if and when you are paid the $575 the court awarded you, you should acknowledge satisfaction--but not until them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption