What is a normal trustee fee for an estate?

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a normal trustee fee for an estate?

Asked on October 3, 2014 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Do you mean for an executor of an estate (I believe they can call it Trustee in Wisconsin)? In Wisconsin the personal representative is allowed all "necessary expenses" in the care, management, and settlement of the estate.  The personal representative shall be allowed a fee for his or her services.  The amount of the fee should be "Just and reasonable" and is determined by the probate court, based on a statutory formula.  If the decedent and the personal representative, or the persons who receive the majority interest in the estate and the personal representative, agree to a different amount, it must be in writing.  If the estate requires extraordinary services or is unusually difficult, the court may allow a greater fee.  If a personal representative is derelict in his duty, his or her compensation for services may be reduced or denied.

The size /amount of the estate is a factor.  Ask an attorney in your area - or the attorney doing the probate - what the fee will be.  The executor can also waive his fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption