What is a legal heir entitled to?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a legal heir entitled to?

I wasnt mentioned in my
grandmother’s will but the
court has named me a legal
heir but im not sure what
exactly that means.i keep
being told i was excluded
from will but the courts
keep sending me stuff.

Asked on May 21, 2019 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no one size fits all answer. Generally, if the court has named you an heir despite not being in the will, that means that either the will was found invalid or the will did not fully dispose of or address everything your grandmother owned; in these cases, if there was no valid will, or the will was not comprehensive, anything not going by will goes by "intestate succession," which is the rules for who gets what when there is no will. But who inherits how much depends on what relatives there were: was your grandmother married when she passed away or not? How many children did she have? Of those, if any passed away before how, how many children (i.e. grandchildren of your grandmother) did the ones who died have? Etc. There are too many variables and issues for us to tell you what you might be entitled to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption