What is a fair claim settlement for a burn injury suffered in a restaurant which resulted in a 2nd degree burn on my teenage daughter?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a fair claim settlement for a burn injury suffered in a restaurant which resulted in a 2nd degree burn on my teenage daughter?

Both the restaurant and the restaurant’s insurance company admit negligence in the incident. My daughter underwent burn treatments for about 3-4 weeks that resulted in a permanent scar on her leg that is visible. She is also very fearful now when hot coffee or plates are brought to the table. The scar is about 3 inches wide by 12 inches long. We have been offered to settle for 9K in exchange for a full release on the matter. Is this reasonable? I am told that if the settlement amount goes above $15K it will require probate court involvement since she is a minor.

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Personal Injury, Georgia


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry to hear this happened to your daughter.  It is very difficult to give you an answser without knowing all of the facts of your case.  Generally, a personal injury settlement is meant to compensate the injured party and is intended to make the party "whole" again, or put them in the same position they were in prior to the injury.  Sometimes this is not possible to do.  Personal injury settlements are based in large part on the type and severity of the injury a person suffered.  Many factors are taken into consideration, including  medical bills past and future, lost wages, pain and suffering and any permanent injury, such as a scar.  I would strongly suggest you contact an attorney in your area who specializes in personal injury before agreeing to any settlement amount.  Keep in mind, the restaurant is going to have a professional on their side and his or her job is to find a way to offer you as little as possible for your daughter's injury.  You should have a professional on your side too.  An attorney in your area will also be able to address the issues regarding your daughter being a minor.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption